War of the Worts
The twentieth edition of War of the Worts could not be denied as over one hundred judges, stewards, and volunteers braved a snowstorm to evaluate 780 beers, meads, and ciders. Congratulations to Mark Livingston (Lehigh Valley Homebrewers) for winning Best of Show for his Standard American Lager. The other big prize was won by Tim Caum (Keystone Hops), who was selected to brew his Best of Show runner-up Eisbock at Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company for the 2015 GABF Pro-Am competition.
Special thanks to Keystone Homebrew Supply and Stone & Key Cellars for hosting us, Blue Dog Tavern, Horsham Donuts, Bagel and Bread House, and Pumpernick’s Deli for providing meals for our volunteers, Neshaminy Creek Brewing Co. for partnering with us to provide a Pro-Am award, and Free Will, Iron Hill, Round Guys, Crooked Eye, Neshaminy Creek, McKenzie Brew House, Haymaker Meadery, and Stone & Key Cellars for bringing beer, mead, and cider to sample for the awards ceremony.
Thank you to our sponsors
Best of Show Level
Blue Dog Tavern
4275 County Line Rd. #13 Chalfont, PA 18914
252 Bethlehem Pike, Colmar, PA 18915
Dominick’s Pizza/Side Door Pub
3337 County Line Rd. Chalfont, PA 18914
569 Main Street, Bethlehem, PA 18018, 812 W. Hamilton St. Allentown, PA 18101
Free Will Brewing Co.
410 East Walnut St., Units 1 and 10, Perkasie, PA 18944
5127 E 65th St, Indianapolis, IN 46220
Keystone Homebrew Supply
435 Doylestown Rd., Montgomeryville, PA 18936
Lansdale Beer Fest
520 W. Mt. Vernon St. Lansdale, PA 19446
Naked Brewing Co.
51 Buck Road, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
Neshaminy Creek Brewing Co.
909 Ray Avenue, Croydon, PA 19021
3000 Meeting House Rd., Philadelphia, PA 19154
Pizza Time Saloon
1900 W Point Pike, West Point, PA 19486
Sandt’s Honey Company
401 North 17th St. #202, Allentown, PA 18104
The Other Farm Brewing Co.
128 East Philadelphia Avenue, Boyertown, PA 19512
Guidelines and Entry Requirements
- War of the Worts is open to all homebrewers.
- All entries must be noncommercial in nature and produced at home.
- The entry fee is $7 per entry. Checks can be made payable to Keystone Homebrew Supply.
- Submit two 10-16 ounce bottles for each entry.
- Mead and cider entries may be either two 10-16 ounce bottles or one or two 750 mL bottles. We suggest for sparkling meads and ciders (categories 24-28) that you send two bottles so that a fresh bottle may be used for the Best of Show round. If sending a single bottle, note this on your entry form.
- Bottles must be glass and must be free of any labels, raised glass designs, etched logos, or other identifying marks.
- Bottle caps must not be labeled with identifying marks. Any logos should be obscured.
- A completed entry form must accompany each entry - recipes are not required. If entering more than one beer, make sure the correct entry form accompanies each entry.
- A bottle ID form must be attached to each bottle with a rubber band (NO tape or glue).
- Categories and subcategories may be combined or split for judging purposes, however entries will be judged according to the category/subcategory in which they are entered. The style guidelines for each category and subcategory are found at the BJCP website.
- It is the responsibility of the brewer to decide the appropriate category for their entry.
- For several categories (e.g. specialty beer, fruit beer, smoke and wood-aged beer, meads, ciders), the brewer is encouraged to specify a base style or give ingredient information. Please note that judges cannot see the name of the beer while judging. Consult the BJCP style guidelines for more guidance on when to provide additional information or base styles.
- Entries which do not meet these entry requirements may be disqualified.
- Any disputes that arise during the competition will be settled by the competition organizer.
- Brewer feedback is the primary purpose of War of the Worts. Your score sheets will be returned to you shortly after the contest. Please do NOT send a SASE with your entry.
- Entries must be registered online beginning 01/17/2015.
- Entries will be accepted at the drop-off locations from 01/17/2015 until 02/08/2015. Late entries will only be accepted with prior approval of the registrar.
- Entries may be dropped off at the following locations:
Keystone Homebrew Supply
435 Doylestown Rd.
Montgomeryville, PA 18936
Keystone Homebrew Supply
128 East Third Street
Bethelehem, PA 18015
Home Sweet Homebrew
2008 Sansom St.
Philadelphia, PA 19103
208 Sanhican Dr.
Trenton, NJ 08618
Brew Your Own
2026 Darby Rd.
Havertown, PA 19083
128 E Lancaster Ave.
Downingtown, PA 19355
Weak Knee Homebrew Supply
North End Shopping Center
1300 N. Charlotte St.
Pottstown, PA 19464
Philly Homebrew Outlet
1447 North American St.
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Brew Your Own Bottle
162 Haddon Ave.
Haddon Township, NJ 08108
- Mail-in entries should be sent to the Montgomeryville Keystone Homebrew Supply location. This is the only location accepting mail-in entries. Mail-in entries must be received by the entry deadline.
Prizes and awards will be given for beers placing first, second, and third in each category, and for Best of Show. The results will be announced at the awards ceremony at Keystone Homebrew Supply in Montgomeryville starting at 6:30 PM. Results will also be available on the Keystone Hops website.
The War of the Worts is the first of three legs of the Keystone Cup club competition. Homebrew clubs accumulate points at War of the Worts, Keystone Barrel Brew Championship (summer), and Malt Madness (September) when club members’ beers medal. The club with the most points at the end of the competition takes home the Keystone Cup. Complete rules can be found at Keystone Homebrew Supply's website.
In past years, the Keystone Cup has been decided by a tiebreaker so your entry could be the difference! You must list your club affiliation on your entry form for your entry to count towards your club’s Keystone Cup standing.
Eastern Pennsylvania Homebrewer of the Year
The War of the Worts is also the first leg of the Eastern Pennsylvania Homebrewer of the Year (EPHY) competition. Will you make a run for the title this year? The four legs of the EPHY award are: War of the Worts, Buzz Off, Malt Madness and the Stoney Creek Homebrewers Amateur Brewing Championship. Complete rules can be found at the Stoney Creek Homebrewers website.