War of the Worts
Now in its 24th year, War of the Worts is an American Homebrewers Association sanctioned competition and provides you an opportunity to have your homemade beer, cider, and mead evaluated by BJCP registered judges. Prizes and awards will be given for beers placing first, second, and third in each category, and for Best of Show. The 2015 revision of the BJCP guidelines will be used for this event.
The competition will be held on Saturday, February 23, 2019 at Keystone Homebrew Supply in Montgomeryville, PA. Judges should arrive by 8:30 AM. The judging is closed to the public. The awards ceremony announcing the winners will be open to the public and held at 6:30 PM.
All entries must be registered online, and registration and drop-off will begin Saturday, January 19, 2018. Entries will be accepted until February 10.
Thank you to our sponsors
Best of Show Level
Blue Dog Tavern
Free Will Brewing Co.
Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
North Wales, PA
Keystone Homebrew Supply
Neshaminy Creek Brewing
Stone & Key Cellars
Cascade Beer Candi Co.
Craft Beer & Brewing
Deer Creek Malthouse
Five Star Chemicals
Imprint Beer Co.
Lansdale Beer Tasting Festival
Side Door Pub
Workhorse Brewing Co.
King of Prussia, PA
Yakima Valley Hops
Guidelines and Entry Requirements
- War of the Worts is open to all homebrewers.
- All entries must be noncommercial in nature and produced at home.
- The entry fee is $8 per entry and MUST be made via Paypal.
- Submit two 10-16 ounce bottles for each entry.
- Mead and cider entries may be either two 10-16 ounce bottles or one or two 750 mL bottles. We suggest for sparkling meads and ciders that you send two bottles so that a fresh bottle may be used for the Best of Show round. If sending a single bottle, note this on your entry form.
- Bottles must be glass and must be free of any labels or other identifying marks. Swing top bottles and corked bottles will be accepted.
- Bottle caps must not be labeled with identifying marks. Any logos should be obscured.
- A bottle ID form must be attached to each bottle with a rubber band. Entries with tape or glue will not be accepted. Entry forms are not required and recipe information will not be used.
- Categories and subcategories will be combined and/or split for judging purposes, however entries will be judged according to the subcategory in which they are entered. The style guidelines for each category and subcategory are found at the BJCP website.
- It is the responsibility of the brewer to decide the appropriate category for their entry.
- For several categories (e.g. specialty IPA, fruit beer, smoke and wood-aged beer, meads, ciders, etc.), the brewer is encouraged to specify a base style or give ingredient information. Please note that judges cannot see the name of the beer while judging. Consult the 2015 BJCP style guidelines for more guidance on when to provide additional information or base styles.
- Entries which do not meet these entry requirements may be disqualified.
- Any disputes that arise during the competition will be settled by the competition organizers.
- Brewer feedback is the primary purpose of War of the Worts. Your score sheets will be returned to you shortly after the contest.
- Unopened bottles will NOT be returned to entrants after the competition.
- Entries must be registered online beginning 01/19/2019.
- Entries will be accepted at the drop-off locations from 01/19/2019 until 02/10/2019. Late entries will only be accepted with prior approval of the registrar.
- Mail-in entries should be sent to the Montgomeryville Keystone Homebrew Supply location. This is the only location accepting mail-in entries. Mail-in entries must be received by the entry deadline.
Prizes and awards will be given for beers placing first, second, and third in each category, and for Best of Show. The results will be announced at the awards ceremony at Keystone Homebrew Supply in Montgomeryville starting at 6:30 PM. Results will also be available on the Keystone Hops website.
The War of the Worts is the first of three legs of the Keystone Cup club competition. Homebrew clubs accumulate points at War of the Worts, Keystone Barrel Brew Championship (summer), and Malt Madness (August) when club members’ beers medal. The club with the most points at the end of the competition takes home the Keystone Cup. Complete rules can be found at Keystone Homebrew Supply's website.
In past years, the Keystone Cup has been decided by a tiebreaker so your entry could be the difference! You must list your club affiliation on your entry form for your entry to count towards your club’s Keystone Cup standing.
Eastern Pennsylvania Homebrewer of the Year
The War of the Worts is also the first leg of the Eastern Pennsylvania Homebrewer of the Year (EPHY) competition. Will you make a run for the title this year? The four legs of the EPHY award are: War of the Worts, Buzz Off, Malt Madness and the Stoney Creek Homebrewers Amateur Brewing Championship. Complete rules can be found at the Stoney Creek Homebrewers website.