Section 1 - Name
The name of this organization shall be the Keystone Hops Homebrew Club.
Section 2 - Purpose
The club shall exist to promote the hobby of homebrewing, and to provide the following benefits for Club members:
- Facilitate the production, evaluation, and appreciation of homebrewed beverages;
- Provide opportunities for the advancement of brewing skills and knowledge among its members; and
- Organize competitions, social events, and opportunities to interact with regional beer-centric establishments and other homebrewing organizations.
Section 3 - Membership
The membership in the Keystone Hops shall be open to any person who enjoys fine beers, meads, and/or ciders, either by making their own or by enjoying the work of others.
Section 4 - Affiliations
The Keystone Hops Homebrew Club shall be affiliated with Keystone Homebrew Supply, where it holds its monthly meetings, its annual homebrew competition, and certain other club events. The club shall be registered with the American Homebrewers Association.
Section 5 - Headquarters
The Keystone Hops headquarters shall be Keystone Homebrew Supply located at 435 Doylestown Road Montgomeryville, PA 18936 until such time that the store permanently closes, or the store asks the Club to locate elsewhere, or if the membership, by resolution, decides to locate elsewhere.
The Board of Directors shall consist of all the elected officers of the Club and any committee heads appointed by the board.
Section 1 - Elected Officers
The elected officers of this Club shall be:
Section 2 - Term of Office
All elected offices shall be held for a period of one year, commencing at the January meeting following elections held at the December meeting and terminating at the following January meeting.
Section 3 - Removal from Office
Any officer, as determined by a majority of the Board of Directors, found not performing his/her duties, may be removed from office, subject to the approval by a majority vote of the membership at the next Full Members Business Meeting following a report from the Board of Directors to the membership.
Section 4 - Vacancy of Office
Any interim vacancy of an elected office shall be filled by appointment by the Board of Directors.
Duties of Elected Officers
Section 1 - President
The duties of the President shall be as follows:
- To uphold the Constitution and By-Laws of the Club
- To interpret the Constitution and By-Laws of the Club when necessary
- To set any special topics/events for Club Meetings
- To conduct Club Meetings in an orderly manner
- To conduct and oversee the Full Members Business Meeting
- To make announcements to the Membership at Club Meetings
- To call for special meetings when necessary
- To communicate and coordinate with the management of Keystone Homebrew Supply
- To form committees when necessary
- Shall be an ex officio member of all committees
Section 2 - Vice-President
The duties of the Vice-President shall be as follows:
- To assist the President with his duties
- Maintain the current membership roster
- To take and track attendance at all club meetings and events
- Distribute membership cards and member gifts
- If the President is absent from a meeting, the Vice-President shall assume the President's power for that meeting
Section 3 - Secretary
The duties of the Secretary shall be as follows:
- To take the minutes of Full Membership business meetings
- To post all minutes to the club's website
- To construct, organize, and distribute an email newsletter to the Club’s membership both prior to and following each Club meeting
- To take attendance of officers at Full Member Business Meetings
- If the President and the Vice-President are absent from a meeting, then the Secretary shall chair the meeting
Section 4 - Treasurer
The duties of the Treasurer shall be as follows:
- To administer and track the Club’s finances
- To coordinate the Club's finances with Keystone Homebrew Supply and ensure accurate reporting
- To collect and document monies owed to the Club
- To coordinate the reimbursement of expenses incurred by members on behalf of the Keystone Hops
- To submit a report at each Club business meeting, or when requested by the President
- To conduct and supervise Club raffles and other fund raisers
- To supervise the purchase of the Club's insurance policy
Section 5 - Other Committee Heads
Committee heads may be named by the Board of Directors from amongst the Full Membership. Such committees may include but are not limited to:
- War of the Worts
- Club Competitions
- Social Media
- Store Liaison
Committee heads may be named and term durations may be declared and altered by the Board of Directors at any time on an as-needed basis.
Section 6 - Delegation of Duties
The Officers may delegate some of their non-core duties to another Officer or Full Member as needed, however that Officer is ultimately responsible for all their duties.
Election of Officers
Section 1 - Eligibility
Any person who has been a Full Member for at least the previous six (6) months and is in good standing with the Keystone Hops may run for an elected office.
Section 2 - Nominations
The President shall form a committee of three members not running for office to solicit nominations. Any member interested in running for an elected office must inform the Board of Directors and Election Committee of their intent on or before November 30 prior to the current election year.
Section 3 - Balloting
A secret ballot election shall be held at the December membership meeting. Only Full Members may vote. The Election Committee shall determine how the secret balloting will take place.
Section 4 - Tally
After tabulating the ballots, the Election Committee shall immediately announce the results. The new officer for each office shall be that person with a plurality of the votes for that office. In the event of a tie, the incumbent for that office shall be declared the new officer. If there is no incumbent involved in the tie, the outgoing President shall declare the winner from amongst the tied candidates.
There shall be two classifications of members in the Keystone Hops.
Section 1 - Social Members
Social Members may attend the Club’s monthly social meetings, may participate in and volunteer for various club events, and may represent themselves as Keystone Hops members. They shall not be entitled to special privileges or discounts that are reserved for Full Members. Social Membership shall be free and open to everyone of legal drinking age, as long as they follow the Responsibilities & Code of Conduct as defined in ARTICLE FIVE SECTION 6 RESPONSIBILITIES AND CODE OF CONDUCT of these By-Laws.
Any person of legal drinking age who provides an email address on the meeting attendance form and subsequently creates an online account at the Club’s website shall be considered a Social Member.
Section 2 - Full Members
Full Members shall be entitled to all the benefits of Social Membership. They shall also be invited to attend monthly Full Membership Business Meetings and to vote on certain matters at those meetings. They shall additionally receive certain exclusive benefits, some of which are described herein.
One of the primary benefits of membership in the Keystone Hops Homebrew Club is the opportunity to interact with fellow brewing enthusiasts, which is open to Social and Full Members alike. However, many of the Club's activities and resources require money, time, or effort, and so certain benefits are restricted to Full Members. The following list of some of these exclusive benefits is intended to be illustrative, and is not a guarantee of any particular benefit.
Additional benefits may exist, and the following list is subject to change.
- The right to attend and be heard at the Club's monthly business meetings
- First right to participate in Club activities with limited seating or availability
- The ability to participate in certain Club activities for free, or at a reduced cost
Organizations that cooperate with the Club may offer additional benefits, such as a discount program offered by Keystone Homebrew Supply. In most cases, third parties shall want to see proof of membership (i.e., a membership card), which shall only be available to Full Members.
Full Membership shall be open to any homebrewing individual of legal drinking age who submits payment of the annual dues, as long as they follow the Responsibilities & Code of Conduct as defined in ARTICLE FIVE SECTION 6 RESPONSIBILITIES AND CODE OF CONDUCT of these By-Laws. Full Memberships shall be valid from the day dues are paid or January 1 of the membership year, whichever is comes last. Full Memberships shall expire on the date of the February Club meeting of the following year. Signups and renewals for a given year shall begin on the date of the prior December Club meeting.
Section 3 – Dues
Dues for Full Members shall be determined by the Board of Directors and approved by the membership. Dues may be paid at any time at Keystone Homebrew Supply. Dues shall not be prorated for portions of the membership year.
Section 4 - Membership Cards
The club shall provide to each Full Member a card designating them as a member of the Keystone Hops Homebrew Club. Each card shall be minimally provided with a name, member number, and membership year. The card shall be required for all discounts and benefits except where waived by the Board of Directors or vendor.
Membership cards shall be issued periodically throughout the year and shall only be distributed at regular Club meetings. Membership cards shall not be mailed, held at the store, or distributed by any other means at any other time or location. At a minimum, cards shall be printed and be made available to all eligible members at the January and February Club meetings.
Section 5 - Inactive Members
Full Members who have not renewed their membership by the date of the February Club meeting shall be declared Social Members and lose all existing rights and privileges of Full Membership until such time that their dues are paid for the current membership year.
Any Social Member who has not attended and signed in at any Club function for an entire calendar year shall be declared inactive and removed from the membership roster.
Section 6 - Responsibilities and Code of Conduct
Membership in the Keystone Hops Homebrew Club is voluntary. All members shall be accountable for their own actions and accept all responsibility for the consequences of those actions, including any consequences arising from the consumption of alcohol. Each member shall agree to behave and drink responsibly at all Club events, and to indemnify and hold harmless the Keystone Hops and its members and Keystone Homebrew Supply (including owners and employees) against any and all liability resulting from that member's actions.
Members shall respect and comply with the rules, property, and staff of Keystone Homebrew Supply or other host before, during, and after any meeting or event, and shall follow any instructions from its staff.
Members that show signs of intoxication or disorderly conduct may be required by any member of the Board of Directors or the staff of Keystone Homebrew Supply to leave the event, and may be subject to further action (including possible suspension or termination of membership) by the Board of Directors.
Members leaving a Club meeting or event shall not drive while intoxicated, and must arrange or accept arrangements for a designated driver or other safe transportation.
No individual member or any member of the Board of Directors, nor any authorized representative of Keystone Hops Homebrew Club shall be personally liable for any debt or obligation of the club.
No member shall receive compensation for services rendered to the club except as otherwise approved by the officers of the club. A member may be reimbursed for properly documented expenses which were reasonably incurred on behalf of the club, subject to prior approval of the club officers.
Failure to comply with the Rules of Conduct shall constitute a review of membership and may result in temporary suspension of membership or privileges, expulsion, or in the case of damage, restitution, as defined in ARTICLE FIVE SECTION 7 SUSPENSION AND EXPULSION FOR CAUSE of these By-Laws.
Section 7 - Suspension and Expulsion for Cause
Any member may be suspended or expelled from membership upon a showing of willful disregard of these Bylaws, Rules of Conduct, or other actions detrimental to the Keystone Hops Homebrew Club in any way, as determined by a majority vote of the Board of Directors. The charges against the member shall be considered at a regular Full Members Business Meeting or a special meeting called for that specific purpose. The member shall be notified of the charges and date, time and place of the meeting. The member may appear and respond to the charges. The decision of the Board of Directors shall be final. No refund of dues shall be issued to any member who is suspended or expelled.
Section 8 – Reinstatement
A suspended or expelled member, or one who has resigned with disciplinary action pending, may be returned to full membership upon written application and with a unanimous approval vote of the Board of Directors and payment of current dues.
Section 1 - Membership Meetings
Membership Meetings shall be held on the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at Keystone Homebrew Supply, unless otherwise specified by the Board of Directors.
Section 2 - Full Member Business Meetings
Business Meetings shall be held at 6:45 p.m. immediately before each Membership Meeting, unless otherwise specified by the Board of Directors. Any voting, with the exception of officer elections and special votes called by the President, shall take place at these meetings, given that a quorum is present. All Full Members are eligible to attend.
Section 3 - Quorums
A voting quorum at a Full Membership Business Meeting shall be no less than ten percent (10%) of the Full Membership.
Section 1 - Resolutions
Periodically it may be necessary to modify these By-Laws. The procedure shall be as follows:
- Any Full Member, committee, or the Board of Directors may write a resolution to modify the By-Laws. It shall include the reason for the change, the article, the section, the paragraph, etc., where the change will occur, and what the change will be.
- If an individual member has drafted a resolution, he/she shall present it to the Board of Directors for announcement at the next regularly scheduled Full Members Business Meeting. At that meeting, the Board shall vote on whether to accept the resolution for consideration. If accepted, the Board shall immediately present the resolution to the membership present as well as include the resolution in the Club's post-meeting email newsletter.
- After presentation, the Full Members shall vote on whether or not to pass the resolution. The vote shall be held at the next Full Members Business Meeting following acceptance by the board, or at the next Membership Meeting if designated by the President. A two-thirds majority shall be required for adoption.
- If approved, the modified By-Laws shall be posted to the Club's website and go into effect immediately.
Adoption of By-Laws
Section 1 - Effective Date
These By-Laws shall be considered in effect when approved by at least two thirds of the membership present at the Full Members Business Meeting where this document is put to a vote.